Friday, May 13, 2011

Right where I Am, I Pray

When I was in Fort Myers, my friend, Dea, who has since passed, gave me a gift of a little plaque that reads, "prayer changes things."  Many people have a misunderstanding of prayer and believe that prayer changes our external reality, and so they pray for things exterally.  They pray for jobs, healing, relationships.  Then they look around and say, "where is it?" I'm praying, I'm asking and I'm still without the job, the healing, or the relationship. 

We look to scripture, and Jesus tells us "if you have faith and do not doubt...it will be done.  Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive."  (Matthew 21:21). 
Receive when?  Receive how?  Receive where? 

This passage is sharing with us a process.  There is One light, One life, One presence, One power and that is right where we are, right here, right now.  And so we turn within and commune.  We feel a sense of our true spiritual nature building and then we ask what is ours to do in preparing ourselves to receive creative work?  We ask how can I contribute to a healthy lifestyle?   We ask am I being the kind of person that I would like to meet? 

Praying for things, as Joel Goldsmith says, is praying amiss.  For it's practicing the absesnce of God.  Prayer, indeed changes things, because it clears the lens through which we are looking.
Right here, right now, right where I am, I pray!
Blessings, Rev Janice

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! Janice, you are always so very insightful....right what I need to hear, right here, right now....I read, then pray <3

    ReplyDelete