Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Are you Listening?

I quit smoking about 30 years ago.  It was one of the most difficult and rewarding experiences of my life.  I thought: "if I can quit smoking, I can do anything."  I went to a support group called Smoke Enders, which put us through a process of noticing and changing our habitual patterns. 

One evening, the people went around sharing the reasons why it would be so difficult to quit.  One man said he would be able to quit if his job wasn't so stressful.  A teen said: "School was really challenging with all the papers," and a woman said: "If I had a job outside of the home and could get some help with from her husband, with the house and taking the kids everywhere it would be easier to quit."

The common theme that runs through these stories is they were listening to their monkey mind.  That part of the mind that swings from doubt to fear and wants to keep you in limitation, addicted to smoking, to drinking, to gambling, to anything that will distract you from listening to your Higher Self. 

Another name for the Higher Self is your Soul, which always wispers, I am with you,  you can do this, you are amazing, I love you.  Are you Listening? 
 

2 comments:

  1. I am listening to my spirit mind and allowing my monkey mind to flow by...takes a concious effort, but is easier to re-focus, the more I practice. God Bless and I hope to see more "unitic bloggers" on my next visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my monkey mind starts I take a deep breath and choose inner peace. Inner peace clears my mind and I am connected to my spirit...In the midst of a challenge I know that spirit is with me and all is well.

    ReplyDelete