Friday, May 27, 2011

Fifteen Minutes

When I was a child travelling any distance, about an hour into the drive, I would ask the quasi whiny question, "How much longerrrr."   Likewise, when my children were young, they too became resteless  and board in the car and would ask:  "how much longerr?"  The answer was always the same, "just another fifteen minutes."  Then we would play another round of eye spy (this was before the i-pod, i-pad, and entertainment systems in cars).

 But what I didn't realize until later is that that this is a powerful Truth Principle. 

I've been using this fifteen minute tool when those inner thought people chirp "you don't know how to do this," or  "why bother, no one will like it."  and it puts me in the attitude of "nevertheless" I am willing.   I mean, it really helps us if we think we're only going to put fifteen minutes of our time into a project.  

What I've discovered though, is in those fifteen minutes I become engaged in the creative aspect of the job or chore and time is lost to me.  A sense of accomplishment and gratitude for doing this job replaces the whiny anticipatory woe.  

What I've discovered is: working in fifteen minute increments keeps me present to what I am doing, and I find I have so much more energy.  It's worrying about the future or regretting the past is what drains our energy.  Oprah spoke of this fifteen minute idea on on her last program on Wednesday.  She said something like there's nothing you can't endure for fifteen minutes. 

So we have taken the answer to the question "How much longer" and made it into a tool for successful living. "Fifteen minutes."  Fifteen minutes is all you need to do what you need to do to get done what you need to do.    
 Pick one thing and do that, for fifteen minutes, and I promise you will experience timelessness and that feels so good.
   

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to share that all during by busy and sometimes frustrating day I sang "when I pray, I feel my soul go deeper." That is what I did for Joy today. I am trying to do something just to receive Joy every day. I'd like to know what you did today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I, too, find myself singing that song at times throughout the day....very peaceful. LOVE the 15 minute idea. I can do something for 15 minutes that if I thought I had to do it longer (or even a lifetime!) I'd be paralyzed with fear....this concept is.....liberating :D

    ReplyDelete